Sundays mornings at our home are about the only time we have to slow bake. We love to turn on some music, open the windows and make something from scratch. This Sunday we got our big mixing bowl out to make my favorite Coconut Ginger Banana Bread. This sweet bread is so incredibly good, you may want it for dessert with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Hand smashing very ripe bananas was the first step, leave big chunks of banana to mix in. I use three to four big ripe bananas. There is just something about peeling back the golden brown spotted fruit and mashing it that feels like childhood. Maybe it was the baking I did with my grandma, whatever it is...leaving big chunks of banana is key! I'll list out the other ingredients below. Candied Ginger, chopped and mixed with the sweetness of fresh banana and then coconut is mind blowing. Each bite is so moist and full of flavor, it is by far the best banana bread ever!
Coconut Ginger Banana Bread
3 to 4 Ripe Bananas, Peeled and Hand Mashed
1 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup Softened Butter
2 Teaspoons Real Vanilla
2 Cups Enriched White Flour
1 Teas Baking Powder
1/2 Teas Baking Soda
1 Teas Ground Ginger
2 Tablespoons of Chopped Candied Ginger
1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
1 Cup Sweetened Coconut
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mash the bananas leaving good chunky pieces. Add sugar and softened butter. Mix by hand with a dough whisk or spoon. Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix together.
3. Add dry ingredients to a separate bowl and whisk with a fork to lighten the flour. Add to the banana bowl and incorporate by hand just until it is all together.
4. Lightly fold in the Candied Ginger, Coconut and Chocolate Chips.
5. Spread carefully into the lined baking pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out a little crumby. Let cool on a board until cool and then lift from pan with the parchment.
6. Slice thick and serve warm or for dessert with vanilla bean ice cream.